Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Ego Odium Latin Lingua

I'm sure the title's wrong.

It rarely fails, given that I read more than I talk, that I can manage to make an ass of myself stumbling over the pronunciation of a word that I am quite familiar with, but don't particularly know how to pronounce.

Latin words are the worst for me.

Today's offender was a posteriori.

It sucks because in System Identification literature, a priori and a posteriori are not just Latin rhetorical flourishes, but technical terms.

Tell me I'm not alone.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are not alone. In fact those terms would bite me too. I would generally just change the terms to an Idiotized version since I was generally talking to non-technical people.

To further on it, have you ever watched two people talk about a fantasy novel and ever agree on the pronunciation of every character name?

brought to you by cltskxef (clit sek zef)

The Really Sarcastic Weasel said...

It's rare for people to agree on ANY character name. Pronounce Egwene, Nynaeve, and Aviendha, someone will have an alternate theory for you.

DC said...

Those are also technical terms in my field (math), but for some reason only "a priori" is commonly used. So generally, if you screw it up, everyone knows you meant "a priori" anyhow.